- standard engine in all models is the 2.5l stage II engine, 165 HP and
166lb/ft of torque at 3600RPM (much lower than 1999's 4400RPM).
- new automatic transmission with screw on fluid filter, transmission
is also smoother, lighter and smaller. This transmission was used on the 1999 Impreza and
- torque converter lock up occurs at 37MPH instead of 45MPH. Emissions
are reduced and higher fuel economy is the result.
- "Humped" (Outback) roof on the 2.5 GT wagon (dual sunroofs
as an option)
- new multilink rear suspension, more cargo space in the trunk/cargo
area due to less intrusion of suspension components
- Much more refined look on the Sedan, and a slightly more aggressive
stance to the wagon.
- aerodynamic drag is down to a 0.29 COE, which is best in class.
- Outback no longer has hood scoop (good, it never did anything
- better cupholders
Y2K Legacy (and Outback) Photo Gallery